Skip to content
2019-20 scholarship application
due 11:59 p.m., Monday, August 19, 2019
There’s nothing between you and a $1,000 scholarship but these five easy steps. And, well…the judgment of our selection committee.
But since this form will time out after a brief period of inactivity, do yourself a favor and READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE APPLICATION FORM BEFORE BEGINNING.
You’ll see why when you get to number three.
1) First, we're gonna need some contact info.
street address line 1
street address line 2
District of Columbia
Armed Forces Americas
Armed Forces Europe
Armed Forces Pacific
2) Now tell us a little bit about yourself.
Spokane Falls Community College
Why are you interested in a career in graphic design?
Name one designer (graphic, architecture, industrial, etc.) that you admire and tell us why.
What are your interests or hobbies? (If you don't have any, you should probably cultivate a couple. Then get back to us.)
Tell us why you of all people deserve the Helveticahaus scholarship more than anyone else.
3) While you're at it, go ahead and write an essay.
You heard us. An
. Give us no more than 300 words on one (1) of the following prompts:
1. “Most people who use Helvetica use it because it’s ubiquitous. It’s like going to McDonald’s instead of thinking about food. Because it’s there, it’s on every street corner; so let’s eat crap because it’s on the corner.”
2. “[Work] is about a search, too, for daily meaning as well as daily bread, for recognition as well as cash, for astonishment rather than torpor; in short, for a life rather than a Monday through Friday sort of dying.”
3. “Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity.”
4. “Good work is always rare, because the iron law of talent is that a few have a lot, some have some, and most have none.”
5. “As we get more technically driven, the importance of people becomes more than it’s ever been before. You have to utilize who you are in your work. Nobody else can do that: nobody else can pull from your background, from your parents, your upbringing, your whole life experience.”
Be sure to include your name in the document file name
you upload it. That way we’ll know it’s yours.
Accepted file types: pdf.
4) We'll also need to see your work, naturally.
Don't forget to either upload a PDF of your portfolio or include a link to your website. 'Cause we like looking at pretty things too.
Accepted file types: pdf.
5) This one's easy: Either submit or save.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
save and continue later